Sunday, December 10, 2017

I'M OVER THE MACCABEES, A Hanukkah Prayer


Art by Mike Cockrill


Baruch Atah Adonai,
Brucha At Shechina,
Ruach HaOlam:

I'm over the Maccabees.
I'm done with fanatics.
I'm done with extremists who demand purity.
I'm done with fundamentalists who shut women up.
I'm done with religions that kill.

I'm over the Seleucids.
I'm done with invaders stealing land. 
I'm done with fascists and supremacists and antisemites.
I'm done with people telling me how to understand my God.
I'm done with liars and rapists and powerful men.

I'm over the Hellenists.
I'm done with accomodation.
I'm done with rich suck-ups.
I'm done with living in comfy bubbles.
I'm done with pretending we're one of them.

I'm over Hanukkah.
         I'm done with Hanukkah bushes.
         I'm done with one good present and then socks.
         I'm done with parties at the White House. 
         I'm done with needing miracles. 

I'm okay with light in the darkness
          And realistic hope
And potato latkes.
Oh, and donuts,
Let's start there.
Amen












If you find this offering of my work valuable or pleasurable, please consider supporting me with a mutual offering, if you are able:

If you use one of my prayers or kavannot for a service or event you can make a one time donation via my PayPal account.  
PayPal  https://www.paypal.me/trishaarlin  

If you would like to support my work as a sacred artist in an ongoing fashion, please contribute (any amount) on a monthly basis to my Patreon account.
Patreon    https://www.patreon.com/trishaarlin

Thank you!
Trisha

5 comments:

  1. I RARELY IF EVER have commented like this, but, having read what this women wrote as a "prayer" using the name of Ha Shem, I don't see any humor or point to it! Where does a Student of the Rabbinate get off denouncing Chanukah as "faux Xmas and 8 days of socks". This woman is a disgrace to Judaism and should never been granted the respected title of Rabbi until and unless she learns to repect KOL YISROEL! (and BTW anyone who knows me will tell you I am not a fanatic, zealot, or even frum!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to nitpick (OK I'm nitpicking) but the term (I thought?) is "K'lal" Yisroel. And, if not mistaken, someone who calls for respecting Klal Yisroel would also thus need to find a way to show respect to the writer and this liturgy?

      Delete
  2. Well done! As for the blowhard preceding, “Honor the fool’s reproach! It is a queenly title.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so wonderful, thank you so much

    ReplyDelete