Wednesday, January 31, 2024

On My Toes

 

Art by Mike Cockrill


1

In shul Shabbat morning,

After we consider God-ness

Creating light, dark, love, unity and truth,

I stand for the standing prayer,

Legs together 

Like an angel with only one lower limb. 

I sway from side to side,

Seeking a chat with the Sacred Artist.  


2

I stand so I can shuckel,

Rhythmic comfort movements

Side to side

Up and down

Knees bent. 

Voice chanting 

As my body prays

Like an angel dancing in a mosh pit

Hopping with God and the congregation,

Acolytes to the beat of Tefillah 

(And it feels so good). 


3

Then I drop the angel thing

And stand with legs akimbo 

In perfect balance

To safely launch myself into the air three times:

Ecstasy! Sanctity!  Blessing!

God exists forever in this moment. 

Here I am

In holy conversation

And this is an excellent party.  


4

I stand for the need for meaning

When there are no answers. 

I stand for the divine Wholeness

In and around me. 

I stand for the glory of Oneness

From generation to generation.  

I stand for the thousands of years

We have prayed this prayer. 


5

Well, I don’t actually stand,

Not anymore. 

My knees hurt,

My back aches

And walking is easier than standing still. 

Worried about what others might think,

I used to lift up my carcass anyway, 

But all I could pray about was my pain

Which wasn’t enough. 

So now I stay in my chair,

Put the book aside,o

Scootch up to the front of the seat,

Sit up straight 

And pay attention hard. 


6

B’emet,

Sitting there

Slightly impaired,

I’m more aware 

Of my body 

As a vehicle for prayer 

Than ever before.  

On my toes 

In my heart,

I declare,

Holy holy holy!


7

And let us say

Amen. 

Please be seated.

No comments:

Post a Comment